Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Gran Torino

You know, I never really have watched a Clint Eastwood Movie before. And I probably never would have watched this movie had it not been for my dad. I was working with him in Anaheim and he had some movies with him for his laptop. I had watched Monsters v. Aliens and the only one I had ever heard of was Gran Torino. My dad doesn't always picks out good movies and he's a big Western fan so I was a bit hesitant about this movie.
I actually liked it, a lot. It's about this old veteran whose wife had just died and shows his spoiled, disrespectful, and unappreciative family who just cares about what they get from all their trouble. Although I admit the son does care about his fathers' well-being and tries to help him. Clint just keeps to himself and stays out of everybody's way, as long as they don't offend him. Now the people who live next to him are Asian, a brother and sister with their mom and grandmother. While the brother walks home one day his cousins are yelling at him to join their 'gang' or whatever they call it. They start harassing him and he finally gives in, and his initiation? To steal the '73 Gran Torino from his neighbor.
He gets halfway there when Clint comes out with a rifle and starts shooting random shots. So when the kid comes forward saying he tried to steal it he is forced by his mother to work for Clint for 2 weeks. During this time they form a friendship, Clint gets the kid a job and helps him build a backbone. But none of this helps him block out the gang that terrorizes him daily.
Clint really tries to help this family...but can he?
This is an inspiring movie that shows that even though not everybody can see eye to eye, they can help each other out.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE Clint Eastwood's character in this one. It just proves that we can all find connections with each other despite our differences. The best movies make you laugh and cry.

    ReplyDelete